Draft Proposal for Change of Discipline
The students admitted to different IITs are offered admissions in different undergraduate
Science, Engineering and Pharmacy programmes depending on the ranking in JEE
examinations and number of available seats in such programmes in different Institutes. These
offers are made as per the choices filled by the students; however, generally an option is
given to the admitted students in different IITs to apply for a change of programmes during
the course of study. Different IITs are having different rules and procedures for the same.
From the academic sessions 2014-15 IIT (BHU) has implemented new UG Curriculum
inculcating concepts of Research and Innovation Weaved (RINWE) Education. It is a
new generation curriculum for engineering and Pharmacy education totally different from the
earlier Curriculum. The salient features of this curriculum are:
1. There is sufficient flexibility in the curriculum which can serve the diversified needs of
different programmes and the students.
2. There are large number of Foundation Institute Science, Engineering and Humanities
Courses. These courses serve to provide breadth of knowledge in science, technology
and humanities. Flexibility is given to different Programmes or Departments/ Schools
for selection and scheduling of these courses in different semesters.
3. Project oriented specialized research and innovations areas are being identified in
different disciplines/ departments, known as streams so that interested students
optionally pursue research and innovation in these through projects.
4. The students will be made aware of the scope of the discipline as well as streams at
It led to:
1. The design of different programme structures for different discipline for the course of
study of first two semesters (1st Year). The students of different disciplines are
studying different Institute Science, Engineering and Humanities Courses along with a
few Departmental courses.
2. The students admitted to UGD and IDD programme in Pharmacy are also having
same background and studying similar courses as the students admitted in UGD, IDD
and IMD programmes in Engineering.
2. A. will make applications for change of discipline towards the end of second semester to the office of the Dean of Academic Affairs. 3. At the end of Semester II: 1. the students of 4-year programmes may change disciplines within 4-year programmes and the students of 5-year programmes may change disciplines within 5-year programmes only. b) The merit of the students will be determined on the basis of Performance Index (PI) determined on the basis grades of Institute Science and Institute Engineering courses only. The change of discipline/branch will be there from one discipline to other within their respective programmes only i. Foreign Nationals who have been sponsored by their respective Governments and/or Government of India for specific courses are not eligible for change of programme. Procedure Students. Strength and other constraints While making the change of branch of a student. using the guidelines given below. the number of students in a class should not fall below the existing number of students by more than 10% and should not exceed the sanctioned number of students by more than 10%. Student admitted through Preparatory Course shall not be permitted change for change of discipline. Change of programme is a privilege and not a right. .e. who are expecting to full fill the above eligibility criteria.0.Taking into considerations these of facts following guidelines are proposed by UGCRC for change of discipline: Guidelines for Change of Discipline Student will be allowed change of programme on the basis of his/her academic performance subject to strength constraints of the of different UGD/IDD/IMD programmes of different Departments/Schools. Eligibility criteria a) The student should have passed all first year courses and her/his CPI at the end of 2nd semester should be ≥ 8.
Tech. to Integrated Dual-degree B.M. Tech. In such cases the DUGCs may direct the students for study the courses of respective programmes or considering that the other courses studied by the students also serve the breadth requirement for their programme may allow waiver on case to case basis. In such cases. Tech. Pharm. Tech. There may also be difference of Institute Science and Institute Engineering courses from his/her old programmes with his/her new programme. Pharm. Pharm. The students permitted the change of discipline will do as per the resolutions of respective DUGCs of the respective Departments and Schools. From B. in the same discipline The student may submit their application for change of programme from B. Each DUGC will decide whether the students getting a change in respective discipline will complete the requirement of passing the Departmental Core (DC) courses offered in 2nd semester.-M. SUGC will decide and notify the change of discipline. Pharm. to Integrated Dual-degree programme within the same discipline by July 01 before the date of registration for the students in 7th semester or any time earlier. Pharm. Senate for final approval. Procedure These applications are considered by SUGC on a case-to-case basis.e. Pharm. the application will be reported to the Senate. The applications submitted after July 01 and during the 7th semester may also be considered provided that the student presents his/her academic plan to complete the B. b) Change of programme can be granted on specific positive recommendation of DUGC. / B. Tech. Eligibility criteria a) The applicant should have a minimum CPI* of 6. /B.5 at the time of application. /B. subject to eligibility and strength constraints of the programmes. ./B.After the declaration of the 2nd semester results and before the beginning of the Summer Term Chairman. B. requirements without violating his ongoing (7th )semester academic registration. 2. before the start of 3rd semester i. 1. Tech.-M. . *This requirement may be relaxed up to 6.0 in evidence of exceptional research potential. and recommendations are sent to the Chairman. As many programme changes as possible will be granted in decreasing order of Performance Index (PI) to applicants.M. in Summer Term or they will be allowed to complete this requirement of passing that DC course later in 3rd and/or 4th semester as over load or otherwise. .